I finally got my Austrains 3501 up and running. I bought the loco in October 2013 and at first I put a NCE D14SR decoder in. It ran ok but still cut out, then the rod got caught and burnt out the decoder. Next I got a TCS DPX2, which made it run a bit better but it still stalled at low speed, and I love shunting so I couldn't have that. I put up with it for a few months then I did some research into "TCS Keep Alive Decoders" and I decided to choose a KAT22 TCS decoder. When I got around to putting in the decoder in, I broke some wires off and took the unreliable tender pickups off. It sat around for about nine months. Then my mate had some time and he put the decoder in with a better, more reliable tender pick ups and this is the result.
VIDEO OF THE KEEP ALIVE AT WORK
OLD FACTORY PICK UPS
Till next time,